Batley Man's Death from Blood Poisoning

A verdict of 'Accidental Death' was returned at Batley today at an inquest on Alfred Wormald Auty (50) cloth fuller, Back Taylor Street, who died from exhaustion due to blood poisoning following extensive scalds sustained during his employment at Messrs John Blackburn and Co's New Ing Mills.

It was deceased's duty to boil the soap in a cistern in the milling department and the evidence showed that whilst endeavouring to turn off the steam tap the soap and water boiled over and scalded his right arm and thighs. He was able to walk home and recovered from the shock but blood poisoning intervened.

Yorkshire Evening Post: 13 February 1916