Sudden Death of Dewsbury Man

On Tuesday morning, shortly before five o’clock. Charles Auty, of 23, Tunnicliffe Yard, Town End, formerly a millhand, but who of late years has assisted at public sales by auction conducted by various auctioneers, and also acted as bailiff, was found dead in bed by his wife. On Tuesday afternoon, an inquest on view of the body took place at the Queens’ Head, before T. Taylor, Esq. (coroner). - Sarah Auty, wife of the deceased, said her husband was forty-five years of age. At times he had been teetotal, and at other times he had indulged in intoxicating liquors. It was a week since he was the worse for beer. Last week, he was quite sober. He had done very little work during the past fortnight. He complained of a rather bad cough a week ago, but did not ask for anything in the shape of medicine. She worked for Messers Hirst, carpet manufacturers, Wellington Road. On Monday morning, he left home about nine o’clock, and went in the direction of the town, when she left him at the top of the yard to go to her work. He was very cheerful when he returned home at half past six in the evening, and quite sober. He ate his tea pretty heartily, and said he would stop in the house and read, instead of spending the night in any other way. The book he had was “The King of the Beggers.” and he appeared to be very much interested in it. He had suffered from indigestion some years. His father was very delicate a long time before he died. Shortly before five o’clock on Tuesday morning she heard a slight noise as of a rattling in his throat, and she immediately called for assistance. A policeman was passing at the time, and he came up the yard. She had previously got a light to look at him. He was lying on his side, and couldn’t speak. Mrs Hirst, a neighbour, also came into the house with the policeman. His life was not insured - Jane, wife of Chas. Hirst, cab driver, 15 Tunnicliffe Yard, gave evidence to the effect that she had lived near the deceased about nine months. She saw him frequently, and noticed that of late he had a bad cough. She saw him going out of the house on Monday. He was perfectly sober. He did not appear to be depressed in any way. At a quarter to five that (Tuesday) morning Mrs Auty came for her. She followed out of the house, and when she got to Mrs Auty’s the policeman was there. Deceased was quite dead when she got there, and she helped to lay the body out. Deceased and his wife led a comfortable life, and there was not the slightest ground for suspicion that there had been foul play - One of the jurymen said the deceased told him a short time ago that he expected he would die very suddenly. - The jury returned a verdict of “Died from natural causes.”

Dewsbury Reporter 4th March 1887