Inqest into Death of John Auty - 14 May 1884

At the house of Allen Holdroyd,
the Queen Hotel, Dewsbury, on
Wednesday the 14th day of May
1884 on view of the body of
John Auty Deced

Martha the wife of Thomas Coulton of No6 Ernest Street, Eastborough, Dewsbury, Bricklayer (journeyman), sw says, Deced was 47 years old and a Corporation Cart Driver. He was my uncle and a bachelor. He has lodged with us for the past 11 years. He has always been in good health and although quite, he has never appeared to be depressed in spirits. He was never injured to my knowledge. He has not had anything to trouble him as far as I know.
He began to be on the night shift a fortnight ago. Last Monday night at 8 o'clock he had some haddock to his tea and seemed to eat heartily. He afterwards set off to his work. I told him that I was going as yesterday morning to my mothers to wash and that I would leave his breakfast ready for him. He replied that it would be alright. I left home at 1//2 past 7 o'clock yesterday morning and went to my Mothers.
I returned home at 1/2 past 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon. My husband came home at 6 o'clock . I expected that deced was in bed. My husband went into the cellar to fetch a bit of wood to prop up a musk plant. He came back directly in a state of great agitation and said that a man was in the cellar. My husband immediately fetched a police man and they went into the cellar and brought up deceds body. His life has been insured for the last 4 or 5 years in the office of the Prudential Assce Co. The rope now produced was fastened to the ceiling in the cellar and was used by my children to swing on. I have 2 children one aged 6 years and another 4 years. They were with me last Monday.

Joe Hepworth of No 33 Elmwood Street, Flats, Dewsbury, night soil teamer, sw says, I have been well acquainted with deced for the last 16 or 17 years. Last Monday night at 1/2 past 8 o'clock I met him at the Corporation Stables at the bottom of Wakefield Road. He took his horse out of the Stable and yoked it in the Cart as usual. I put another horse into another cart.
We first went to Batley Car Upper Road, and got our carts filled and then took them and tipt them at the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Station. We did the same 5 times that night and finished outdoor work at 6 o'clock yesterday morning. It was deced duty to attend to his horse after he got in and it was his turn to go on duty again at 4 o'clock in the afternoon to look after 4 horses until 1/2 past 8 o'clock at night. It would have been his turn to be in the Stables again next Saturday. He appeared to be quite right and contented. I left him outside the Stables at 1/2 past 9 o'clock yesterday morning. He turned towards his own home.

Brice Kaye of No12 Halliley Street, Flats afsd Borough Police Constable, sw says, I was in Crackenedge Lane near the end of Ernest Street about 1/2 past 6 o'clock yesterday afternoon when Thos Coulter told me that his wifes uncle was hanging in his cellar. I immediately accompanied him to the cellar and found deced hanging with the rope now produced on herring boning between two bars in the celling. He was on the floor with his knees bent. The rope was doubled. He was without coat and hat. I cut the rope. The body was cold. There was a dark indented mark round the neck

Brice Kaye (signature)

Verdict: Hanged himself while of unsound mind
Paid: Murdock Campbell PS 1:4:0 Persl exps